Girls Rock MKE is a summer day camp for girls aged 8-16. Our third year of camp will be held July 27-July 31, 2015 at UWM’s Zelazo Center here in Milwaukee with the camp showcase being held Sunday, August 2, 2014 at Turner Hall! We will begin accepting applications for the 2015 session on March 1, 2015.
Our mission is to empower girls of all backgrounds through music education and performance. We are dedicated to creating a positive environment that builds girls’ self-esteem and fosters leadership, life-skills development, and independent thinking while cultivating a supportive community of peers and mentors that demonstrate it’s ok to be who you are!
Our mission and our goals align with the Girls Rock Camp Alliance. GRCA is an international coalition of organizations whose shared mission is to empower girls and women using the tools of music. We are in the process of applying to be a member of GRCA. The core values of GRCA are the following – we will adopt these same values:
- We value the power of music as a means to create personal and social change
- We value efforts that actively expand opportunities for girls and women
- We value positive approaches to fighting sexism
- We value integrity, honest and respect
- We value appropriate sharing of resource, cooperation and collaboration
- We value using our collective voice to further our mission
- We value diversity